July 18, 2008
Night #1
Our dogs have slept in separate kennels since they were pups. We did this for several reasons; no dominance issues over space, no accidents during the night, and a safe space for them. They would cuddle during the day, all day long, but night time was their own. We are happy we did it too.
A little over a month ago, Steven and I got into the fun/awful habit of letting the weens sleep with us...in our bed...burrowed deep in our bed. Yes, they are "small" dogs, but DANG, they are some bed hoggers! We love that they cuddle with us and snuggle up to our necks in the morning, but, sleeping in a bed that is not our own, in a room full of stuff that is not our own, the addition of 2 dogs makes for an uncomfortable rest. We wanted to get out of the habit of having them sleep in their kennels since they are house trained and all that good stuff. So, last night we brought in the doggie bed that is in the living room during the day. (One of those big Costco dog beds, they are awesome!!) We put a princess blanket on it for Bella and said "bed time," like always only this time we pointed at their "new" bed. Bentley, exhausted from a long day of doggie play and swimming, made a comfy spot for himself in the middle of the bed. I picked him up, gave him a kiss and moved him to one side, making room for his girly friend. I put her in, knowing that she would be up in 4 seconds. She was. We had to put her back in her spot 6 times before she would stay. Then she did her cute little whine twice and made more noise getting comfy than ever before. This reminded me of when I was young. If I was angry or upset, I remember making noise trying to get the attention of my mom...flopping around in bed, throwing something against the wall, whatever...thinking I was being all sly about it. What a brat. Well last night all it took was a "Bella, NO" and she was out! YES!! It was so great. I let them climb in bed with me when Steven got up to get ready for work and they were so happy, and I was one rested doggie mama!!
Night #1 down, a lifetime to go!! (I know that those of you with kids are probably saying...just wait till you have kids of your own, and then you can complain about restless nights. Well, life is relative, and right now, the weens are my kids. We are getting in some good practice.)
Posted by
The Thomas Kidlets
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
UPDATE! UPDATE! It was really fun to see you guys on Saturday, I wish I didn't have to leave early. . .I was VERY late picking Andrew up. . . whoopsie!
Post a Comment