I never thought I'd say this...but I would like to thank all the smokers out there. I cannot stop you from smoking, nor will I try, even though you are just plain dumb for doing it...instead, I would like to thank you. Here is why.
Today I had a visit from a nurse from Welcome Home Baby, a newborn home visiting program for first time parents. Dr.'s in San Diego County refer first time parents to this program. However, if your Dr. doesn't you can call them yourselves and have them come and visit you. They offer services for parent's with children ages 0-5. So, the nurse did an assessment on Madi, weighed her (she was down 3 oz. last Friday and is now back to her birth weight!) and watched us nurse. (She was very impressed with Madi's latching and nursing skills at only 8 days old.) She gave me a box full of information from feeding guides to books on what to do before you freak out if your child is sick, a growth chart, a few books for Madi to read, and TONS of information on programs offered in San Diego county; like phone numbers to call for any reason in the book, support groups for moms...everything.
Why thank the smokers? Well, in 1998 an additional tax was added to every tobacco product. The revenue generated from the tax funds programs and activities that promote early childhood development. So, thanks to you smokers out there, you just gave me a free visit from a registered nurse as well as $75 worth of products. THANKS!!
2 comments:
Hillary,
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind if I reposted this post for some of my political friends to read?
Andrew
Andrew, GO FOR IT!! :)
Post a Comment